A Vegan MoFo Survey.
1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
Soy. Hemp tastes funny and almond is too thin. I'm terribly sad that Vitasoy is no more; that was my favorite.
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
Right now, pizza, hot and sour soup from Veganomicon with some variations, and tacos. Ooo, and tempeh bacon. And scalloped potatoes.
3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
Salt! I'm slowly becoming a nooch convert.
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
I made some pretty disgusting pancakes recently. Somehow I thought I wouldn't need a recipe.
5. Favorite pickled item?
Asparagus! I love pickled anything though: cucumber pickles, pickled beets, sauerkraut, anything.
6. How do you organize your recipes?
In my head? There are recipes in my files somewhere, and in my email, but I have trouble finding any. In my head.
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
Trash and garbage disposal.
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods…what would they be (don’t worry about how you’ll cook them)?
Strawberries, spinach, and chickpeas.
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
My mother's stew. She is still mystified that I liked it as much as I did. I'm going to have to make some seitan and try to veganize it.
10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
Luna and Larry's Coconut Bliss, strawberry lemon love, now retired, so let's say cherry amaretto.
11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
I am kind of in love with my immersion blender.
12. Spice/herb you would die without?
Cayenne, nutmeg, cumin, and oregano.
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
The Silver Palate and the Silver Palate New Basics.
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
I don't really LIKE jam or jelly. I guess strawberry or cherry.
15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
Moroccan vegetable stew over lemon couscous with toasted almonds.
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
All three. What a question. Tofu omelets, tempeh sausage crumbles, and Joanna nuggets.
17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
A basket of winter squash (celebration, sugar pumpkin, and pink banana) and shallots, and a platter of cippolini onions and organic garlic.
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
Chickpea flour, frozen strawberries, and homemade vegetable broth.
20. What’s on your grocery list?
I'm out of fresh ginger and low on sea salt.
21. Favorite grocery store?
There is a gorgeous little grocery store in Manzanita called Mother Nature's. In Cambridge, I loved Harvest Coop.
22. Name a recipe you’d love to veganize, but haven’t yet.
My mama's stew.
23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa’s because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3?
Lagusta's Luscious, Vegandad, Vegan in the Sun, Stumptown Vegans, Get Sconed, Year of the Vegan
24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
The coconut milk yogurt I bought yesterday was ridiculous, but I think the prize goes to dried mushrooms and to truffle salt.
26. Ingredients you are scared to work with?
Natto, and after an extremely bad experience, tapioca flour. It made me nearly throw up.